When is IV Sedation Necessary?
While IV sedation does make it easier to perform dental work on children, it comes with a number of risks. That is why Sunshine Smiles recommends the use of IV sedation for specific situations. Some examples of situations when it may be recommended include:
- Extensive dental work needs to be performed on multiple teeth. Instead of scheduling multiple appointments, a pediatric dentist may be able to use IV sedation to calm your child enough that they can do the dental work in one visit.
- Tooth Extractions. Tooth extractions are a delicate procedure that needs to be performed with care. A wiggle or nervous child may cause a dentist to have difficulty safely extracting the tooth.
- Extremely anxious or apprehensive child is reluctant to get any dental work done.
- Previous health history of the child
- Child’s personality
- Ability for the child to sit for prolonged periods of time
- Type of procedure being performed
- Number of procedures being performed
- Age of the child