Thank God for fluoridated drinking water here in Melbourne! Fluoride is the most effective measure to prevent dental caries. Dental decay is one of the most common infections in children and adults, and the leading cause of missed school days over other illnesses. On a national level, children ages five to 17 miss nearly two million school days in a single year due to dental health problems.
Fortunately, over the past two decades, the number of children with tooth decay has been on the decline. This drop can be attributed to the consumption of fluoridated drinking water. According to the American Dental Association (ADA), it is during the developmental period that the teeth benefit the most from fluoride. While there are various ways to get fluoride, such as fluoride toothpaste, regular fluoride treatments, and fluoride supplements, the most effective method is via fluoridated drinking water.
Benefits of Fluoride
1. Strengthens the Enamel – Our mouths contain bacteria. This bacteria feeds on the food particles and sugar in our mouths. The acid the bacteria produces during digestion eats away at the enamel. The enamel is the hard, outer shell of the tooth; whereas, the dentin that lies beneath is rather soft. Once the protective layer of enamel wears away, the dentin becomes susceptible to decay. Fluoride strengthens the enamel, making it more resistant to the damaging acids created by the bacteria.
2. Teeth Become More Resistant to Damage – Fluoride strengthens the enamel, making it naturally resistant to chips, cracks, and decay. In addition, your child will enjoy a happy, healthy smile
3. Helps Remineralize the Teeth – Besides preventing cavities, fluoride can reverse early signs of decay through remineralization. During fluoride treatments, the teeth are encouraged to replace lost minerals with minerals that are present in the saliva. Once the repair is complete, the enamel on that particular area is stronger than it was before the enamel was damaged. While fluoride treatments are unable to completely repair a deep cavity, these treatments can slow the progression of decay
More Stats About Fluoride
The Centers for Disease Control (CDC) has called fluoridation one of 10 greatest public health achievements of the 20th century. That list also includes seat belts, vaccinations, cancer prevention, maternal and infant health, tobacco control, prevention and control of infectious diseases, and cardiovascular disease prevention.
Fluoride in drinking water saves communities millions of dollars in dental treatment and reduces missed school and work days, hospital visits, dental pain, and related systemic diseases. Over 97% of Brevard county and 77% of Florida citizens now benefit from community water fluoridation. Removing it would have adverse effects on dental and systemic health for Melbourne and Brevard County.
What Trusted Experts Say About Fluorinated Water
One of the best ways to determine whether health-related statements are valid is to see who agrees with them. Over 100 national and international organizations have expressed support for water fluoridation including:
- American Medical Association
- Alzheimer’s Association
- American Academy of Allergy
- Asthma and Immunology
- American Academy of Pediatrics
- American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry
- American Cancer Society
- American Nurses Association
- American Dental Hygiene Association
- American Dental Association
- American Osteopathic Association
- Association of Maternal and Child Health Programs
- Centers for Disease Control
- The Department of Defense
- World Health Organization.
If you have any questions about fluoride or if you are not sure if there is fluoride in your drinking water, set up an appointment for your little sunshine by calling us at 321.622.6255.
* For more facts about fluoride click here.