Did you know that the germs that cause cavities are actually passed along from parents to their kids? The disease that causes cavities is called caries and babies are actually born without any of the bacteria that causes it. Parents end up passing along these germs to their children by doing things such as sharing spoons, cleaning pacifiers in their mouth, or by testing food before feeding it to their babies. It’s important to try not to share saliva with your baby from the get-go since the caries germs can start the cavity process before your baby even has any teeth. Here are some tips to help you keep your little one’s teeth clean and cavity free:
- Brush with a toothpaste that has fluoride in it.
- Avoid putting anything in your baby’s mouth that’s been in yours.
- Choose healthy foods to cut back on the germs that cause cavities.
- Use water to clean your child’s pacifier.
- Lead by example! If you practice good dental hygiene, your kids will follow.
- Once your child has their first tooth, start using a soft bristle toothbrush and small amount of fluoride toothpaste to clean their teeth twice a day.
- Try not to give your baby sticky foods and unhealthy snacks in between meals, leave the treats for meal times.
- Don’t let your baby go to bed with a bottle or sippy cup of milk or juice. Use only water to prevent decay.
- As soon as your child has their first tooth or first birthday, it’s time to schedule a visit to the dentist!
Pediatric dentists have additional training beyond dental school to work with young children. At Sunshine Smiles, our caring staff is specially trained to work with children’s dental needs. Everyone at Sunshine Smiles is dedicated to creating a fun, welcoming environment where your child feels comfortable and safe. As your Melbourne pediatric dentist, we’re here to give you and your little ones the tools to stay cavity free for a lifetime of healthy smiles! Give us a call to schedule an appointment today.